Monday, July 20, 2009

July 20, 2009; In which I gripe about computers

Recently I sent my Sony Vaio laptop into Best Buy, the location from whence it was purchased, because it was malfunctioning at a level that basically prohibited use. I expected the problem to be easily solved by the experts there, but since it wasn't under a Best Buy warranty they could do nothing but ship it out to Sony for them to fix. I had told them that the problem was likely in motherboard, seeing as I had reformatted the hard drive and checked the memory, the other likely cuprits for the problems I was experiencing. It was about three or four weeks before I actually got the computer back.

Lo and behold, there was no change. I found out later that the only work the Sony technicians had done on it was to check the memory and reformat the hard drive. They didn't look at anything else, just saw that those components were working and sent it back. So, of course, my computer is still in basically the same state it was in before. I called their customer service and was walked through a system diagnosis that failed, because my computer characteristically froze in the middle of doing absolutely anything. So I was told that I would be contacted when a technician could get to me.

That was last week. Here's hoping I'll have a working laptop by the time I go back to school, eh? But I'm not complaining. I still have the home desktop to work from, and it functions just fine.

Except that now the monitor is flashing oddly, and my preferred browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox) don't seem to work anymore, and there have been more problems with the home wireless network than I can shake a stick at...

Basically, I've decided that computers don't like me. They'll put up with me for a short while, but prolonged exposure seems to get them feeling a little suicidal. This is quite a change from the past few years, when I seemed to be the go-to computer guy around the house. Funny how things change with time...

This post is going up a little late, and I missed Sunday, but it was only hopefully daily in the first place, so NEH!!

3 comments:

  1. NEVAR! They're expensive and typically no better than a PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they're, you know, Macs. Macs are the fru-fru Starbucks 'coffee' of the computer world.

    Henrietta is currently very concerned about her lesbian lover and is very disappointed that same-sex computer-couples don't get visitation rights. 8(

    ReplyDelete