Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21, 2009; In which I infer news from a headline

So I saw today that Obama and the Senate have decided to discontinue production of the F-22 Raptor fighter jet. I look at this with mixed feelings, as both a practical thinker and a fan of high-tech stuff that makes things go boom. First, a few things about the Raptor.

I'm no expert on military or Air Force tech, but it's not hard to know that the F-22 is one of the most advanced pieces of hardware in the world. This thing can practically fly itself, and with a skilled pilot it is a devastating weapon against anything in the air, on land, or on sea. It's also one of the most expensive pieces of ordnance in our current military line-up, and not quite necessary or practical when we are so far beyond our enemies in everyday combat. In this current day and age, with brushfire wars fought against insurgencies with Kalashnikovs and C-4, air superiority is more about accurate and concise bombing than moving at mach three and firing heat-seeking missiles that can rip a MIG apart in less than two seconds.

Looking at the decision practically, I have to agree with the bureaucrats on this one. The Raptor, while being extremely awesome, is impractical. We're moving more and more toward peace between nations, and most of the groups we fight couldn't buy a squad of fighters, much less the armaments and maintenance and pilots and runways to put them in the air. There will be no more dogfights, no more air battles in our day unless something in the geopolitical sphere gets way out of whack. I think that's pretty easy to see, and the guys on top are betting on diplomacy. Maintaining complete military superiority would be great, but there isn't a lot of need for it if the battles stop.

That's about all I've got to say right now. I might say more later about planes, politics, firepower, and combat, and that sort of thing, but for now I've said my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment