Friday, August 21, 2009

August 21, 2009; In which I make a triumphant return

I'm back at school and I have my computer working again. I have an audition tonight and I'm gaming with some of my best friends afterward, whenever that afterward may be. Life is good. But you didn't come to hear me talk about how awesome it is to be me. You came for quasi-insightful and seemingly intellectual posts about silly things, right? Well, let me hit you with this shot. Today's topic that I will quickly cover (I only have about forty-five minutes until I should be at the audition) is conception. No, no, not the act of creating a new bumpity life form in some lady's womb after a rambunctious night of get-thee-down-ing. I mean the conceptions that people have of themselves, of each other, and of life in general. And since this blog is usually a first-person experience, mostly my conceptions about myself, the people around me, and the world I live in.

Despite how I may seem at times, I can be a little insecure about my appearance. And I'm going to guess that, sometimes, just maybe, you can too. Guys! This is perfectly normal! We are people and we are used to seeing beautiful things and people lifted onto the pedastal of greatness for their sheer beauty alone! Look at the Grand Canyon, or a rainbow, or Megan Fox! The point I'm tryingto make is, while we can't all be Megan Fox, everybody has something going for them. Maybe you've got bad skin and a really awkward body type, but hey! You have great eyes and your smile is pretty nice! Or maybe you're a little heavier than you want to be, but DAMN do you have great hair! I bet there's something pretty awesome about everybody, and that's not just optimism! That's statistics and probability, baby. There are dozens of aspects of the human body and appearance that make up attractiveness. There's no way that none of yours are good! Example: I have bad skin (most of the time) and I'm bonier than a starving wildebeast, but I sometimes come across as charming and I have been told that I have a good smile. This makes me pretty okay with me!

Our conceptions of other people can be a little more complex. Sometimes your first impression about somebody can be totally awesome but they turn out to be a major jerk. Well, that could be due to a number of reasons. Maybe they know how to hide their flaws at first impressions, so they seem really cool. Or maybe you don't have enough life experience dealing with people like that so you couldn't see them for who they really were. Oh, yeah, and the opposite of what I said is also totally possible. See that big scary goth dude over in the corner of the library, reading Edgar Allen Poe and muttering what very well may be backwards Latin? Go talk to him. Guess what? He loves kittens almost as much as you do, and listens to your favorite band. You even have a similar taste in movies! He may seem scary and foreboding, but that's due to any number of factors that probably have no bearing on personal truth or reality!

Speaking of truth and reality, the theory has been put out there that nobody else is real except for me. I don't like that, for this one very specific reason: If you are all figments of my imagination, my life is not nearly cool enough! If my perception is all that makes up my reality, and I can think up things like Star Wars or The Matrix in movie form, or any work of creativity or fiction ever created, for that matter, why do I not have a jetpack, lightsaber, and magic powers? Why can't I dodge bullets, and then have numerous opportunities DAILY to show my awesome abilities? I am not a supoer hero, therefore you all must be real. If you weren't all bound to the same plane of reality I am, what would be stopping me? Probably my conception of what reality is and the deep-rooted psychological blocks that stop me from really being able to believe in magic and ghosts and zombies and super-sentient killer robots from the future. And, while all of those things would be awesome, they also kill stuff. And killing stuff isn't cool, unless you plan on eating it. But hey, zombies and robots! Don't take that to mean killing people is all right so long as you eat them! That's not cool, and then I'll have to whip out the EMP shotguns and laser chainsaws and have at yee.

What was I talking about?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm going to learn backwards latin now...

    ReplyDelete